Print

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo
Mi2 Update: January 2017
Subscribe Here
In This Newsletter:

New Feature: Implementation Stories | Foundations of Math: Implementation Story | Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students With Learning Difficulties | Delta Math | The "Average" Student... | Math Around Michigan | (Mi)2 Resources | Upcoming (Mi)2 Dates | (Mi)2 Partners | Subscription Details
New Feature: Implementation Stories

What happens after people leave an (Mi)2 training?

What are educators supposed to do after going through an (Mi)2 training?

Beginning this month, each (Mi)2 Update will contain an implementation story of how a Michigan educator is implementing Foundations of Math, Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students With Learning Difficulties, or Delta Math.

We know that face-to-face training is just the first step to being able to implement new practices. We also know that, depending on what type of training you attended, and what supports are available to you when you return to your office or classroom, initial implementation will vary.

Implementation Stories will help us understand what people are able to do and how best to begin the ongoing learning process necessary to make instructional changes that improve outcomes for every student.

Foundations of Math: Implementation Story

Educator: Ryan Book, Math Interventionist
District: Gaylord Community Schools
Students: 1st through 3rd grade students, primarily receiving Tier 3 math intervention
(Mi)2 Cohort: Foundations of Math in Bellaire

To help students understand the “math behind the math,” I am sequencing instruction from concrete, to representational, to abstract. I introduce concepts my students have not yet mastered in a format that is concrete as possible using manipulatives and grounding math in real-life context and examples. I then transition to a representational approach in which we draw pictures in place of using manipulatives, and then ultimately move to the abstract where students use equations and symbols.

I am systematically removing all drilling, memorizing, and learning of “tricks” from my instructional practices. This means no more worksheets of subtraction problems, no more fraction “tricks,” no more looking for “clue words” in word problems. Our focus is on grounding math in routine activities that are connected with their lives.

Encouraging students to move beyond the security blanket of tricks and shortcuts can be difficult, but we are making progress. Having a student proudly show me how he had solved a subtraction problem with base-ten, an open number line, and with an equation gives me hope that some deeper understanding is happening.

To help with implementation, I maintain regular contact with a neighboring intermediate school district (ISD) math consultant who also went through the training. I also purchased Liping Ma’s book, Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, after reading a chapter of it as a Foundations of Math assignment. The book is a great read on the different approaches to mathematics instruction employed by American teachers versus their Chinese counterparts, whose students often outperform American students.

Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students With Learning Difficulties

Upcoming Trainings
The team of Mike O’Neill and Kathy Lupp are planning another training series of Enhancing Math for the 2017 year at Bay Arenac. The dates are February 2 and 23, and March 16. Congratulations to them on continuing their great work!

Focusing on Struggling Learners
“What do you notice?” can be a starting question for any launch of a math lesson. Also, it can be the question that we need to ask ourselves about our work. As I reflect on our training activities, I notice there is a desire and effort to assist the struggling math learner. As our teams of presenters engage and facilitate their colleagues in math tasks around the content of our course material, we are always thinking about that student who is underachieving.

How do we motivate that student? How do we engage the student in thinking? What are all the decision-making processes throughout the lesson that lead to insightful learning? When do we get our students to appreciate and feel good about being a problem solver? What a struggle this can be for both them and for us. But when we get there doesn’t it feel good? When we experience mathematics achievement, let us celebrate. Keep up the good work.

-Kate Fanelli, Alt+Shift Project Coordinator

Delta Math

Delta Math provides online readiness screeners to help educators identify students not ready to learn current math standards in kindergarten through Algebra 1. Paper-based progress monitoring tools are also provided to frequently measure student progress during standard-based Tier 2 intervention. Tier 2 intervention lessons have been developed for elementary readiness standards and are currently being developed for middle school.

Over the past ten years, the program has grown throughout Michigan to include implementation resources and support using evidence-based recommendations provided in the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) practice guide for math response to intervention (RtI).

To see how the IES recommendations are integrated within a multi-tiered system of supports, watch the IES implementation video.

If you would like to learn more about Delta Math or schedule implementation training for the 2017–2018 school year, please email Mike Klavon.

The "Average" Student...

… does not exist. The 99 Percent Invisible Podcast presents an informative and perspective-building history of using the average to design everything from clothes to work environments for groups of people. What we now use regularly to maximize effectiveness of lesson design or summarize student performance was not designed for these purposes.

In his TED Talk, The Myth of Average, Todd Rose describes how designing instruction and educational environments for the “average” student is actually designing for no one, as finding the mean of a set of data rarely results in a value in the original data set, or, at best, results in a value equal to a very small portion of the original data set.

If teachers feel like they are being asked to teach increasingly diverse groups of students and address increasingly individualized learning needs, they are right. The good news is, in addressing unique needs of students, instead of aiming for “the middle” or the “average” student, teachers can meet the needs of many students. In Foundations of Math, participants learn how to use “sameation.” In Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students With Learning Difficulties, participants identify strategies informed by Universal Design for Learning (UDL). Both approaches allow teachers to address their diverse groups and avoid the pitfalls of teaching to the “average” student.

Math Around Michigan

Michigan Council for Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM) Book Club
The 16th MCTM online book club will be starting in late January or early February.

The book club will study Visible Learning for Mathematics: Grades K–12 by John Hattie, Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey, Linda Gojak, Sara Delano Moore, and William Mellman. It is available at corwin.com. There is no cost to join the book club other than the cost of the book.

Each week, the book club will read and discuss one of the chapters. Questions will be added to a Google Doc and emailed at the beginning of the week. Members will have the week to read, reflect, and respond.

If you would like to join or have additional questions, please email Kevin Dykema.

Add+Vantage® Math Recovery Trainings
The Seaborg Math and Science Center is offering Add+Vantage® Math Recovery Course Two this winter at Northern Michigan University.

Add+Vantage® Math Recovery, Course Two
Who: K–5 Teachers, K–12 Special Education Teachers
Where: Seaborg Math and Science Center, NMU
When: January 19, 20, 26, 27, and February 9

View the Add+Vantage® flyer for more information and registration links.

Word Problems, Children’s Strategies, and Understanding Addition and Subtraction
Register now for Word Problems, Children’s Strategies, and Understanding Addition and Subtraction, an in-depth opportunity to learn more about problem solving with addition and subtraction for elementary aged students. The materials for this event are based on the research done with Cognitively Guided Instruction.

Dates: January 11, 2017, and February 1, 2017
Time: 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Location: Grand Valley State University, Allendale Campus
Fee: $25 per person (includes lunch and all materials)
Facilitator: Nancy K. Mack, Professor of Mathematics, GVSU
Registration: Word Problems, Children’s Strategies, and Understanding Addition and Subtraction registration page

For additional information, read the workshop description for Word Problems, Children’s Strategies, and Understanding Addition and Subtraction in The Interchange, view the Word Problems, Children’s Strategies, and Understanding Addition and Subtraction flyer, or email Chelsea Ridge.

Michigan Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (MI-AMTE) 2017 Conference
The 2017 MI-AMTE Conversations among Colleagues conference focuses on how to develop coherent educational systems utilizing the full range of experts available in K–16 education within the state of Michigan. The organizational structure of the one-day conference is designed as a working conference among an even broader audience in sharing ideas about improving teaching and learning mathematics. The conference includes invited plenary sessions, participant working groups, and solicited talks related to the conference theme. The expected outcomes of the conference include building a shareable knowledge base; future collaborations with a variety of key stakeholders; and an action, plan, and/or advocacy recommendations for mathematics and mathematics education.

The 2017 conference is on March 18 and will be hosted by Michigan State University.

Early registration prices are available through January 31. For more information, and to register, visit the MI-AMTE conference webpage.

Math in Action Conference
Math in Action: Making Math Meaningful will be held February 25, 2017, at Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus.

Math in Action presents lively and informative discussions of current issues in mathematics education while providing an opportunity for practicing pre-K–12 teachers, prospective teachers, curriculum directors, and college and university faculty to share ideas, concerns, and resources. State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) are available for most sessions. The conference consists of six hour-long sessions with approximately eight separate interactive presentations during each session. Presentations are focused on specific mathematics topics at a variety of grade levels. Visit the Math in Action conference website for more information.

Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
Do you know or are you an exemplary math or science teacher in 7th through 12th grade? Please consider nominating him or her for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST). The PAEMST is the highest recognition a K–12 teacher can receive for outstanding science or mathematics teaching in the United States.

For more information, download the PAEMST flyer. Deadline for applications is May 1, 2017.

AP® Computer Science Principles (CSP) Professional Learning Series
The Michigan Math and Science Center Network is offering the AP® CSP Professional Learning Series this summer for schools offering AP® Computer Science next fall. Interested schools will submit an application to attend the five-day conference-style workshop designed to introduce the computer science concepts from the curriculum, AP® elements of the course, and core teaching practices. The series runs from July 31 to August 4, 2017. For more information, including the application for participation, visit the CSP Professional Learning Series website.

2016–2017 Jackson Intermediate School District (ISD) Math Offerings
Jackson ISD has a variety of math offerings this fall and spring. For additional information, click the links below. Email Heather Holshoe with any questions.

Math K–6 Single Day Offerings:2016–2017 Kalamazoo Regional Educational Services Agency (KRESA) Math Offerings
Kalamazoo RESA has released their list of math offerings for the upcoming school year. Visit the KRESA mathematics page for additional information and registration. Course offerings include:
  • Cultivating Confident Math Learners: Supporting a Growth Mindset

  • Cultivating Flexible Thinkers Through Number Talks: Number Sense Routines for Grades 4–9

  • Cultivating Flexible Thinkers: Teaching Addition and Subtraction Through Number Sense and Visual Representation

  • Cultivating Flexible Thinkers: Teaching Fractions Through Number Sense and Visual Representation

  • Cultivating Resilient Problem Solvers (Secondary)

  • Cultivating Resilient Problem Solvers (Upper Elementary)

  • Delta Math Implementation Training

  • Exploring the Power of Visual Representations Across Secondary Math

  • Teaching With Eureka Math for the First Time

(Mi)2 Resources

  1. Website: Michigan's Integrated Mathematics Initiative

  2. Monthly e-newsletter: Subscribe to the (Mi)2 Update

  3. Technical Assistance: Contact (Mi)2

  4. Follow (Mi)2 on Twitter and find (Mi)2 on Facebook

Upcoming (Mi)2 Dates

February 23 and 24 – Teaching Mathematics to Students With Significant Disabilities
Breakout Session
Upper Peninsula Special Education Conference
Marquette

March 2 – Teaching Mathematics to Students With Significant Disabilities
Breakout Session
Michigan Council for Exceptional Children Conference
Grand Rapids

June 20-22 – Alt+Shift Summer Institute
Traverse City

June 21-22 – Foundations of Math: Teaching Students With Significant Disabilities
Two-Day Preview
Alt+Shift Summer Institute
Traverse City

August 7-8 – Foundations of Math
Days 1 and 2
St. Johns

August 9-10 – Foundations of Math: Teaching Students With Significant Disabilities
Days 1 and 2
St. Johns

October 16 – Foundations of Math
Day 3
St. Johns

October 17-18 – Foundations of Math: Teaching Students With Significant Disabilities
Days 3 and 4
St. Johns

November 8-9 – Foundations of Math
Days 4-5
St. Johns

November 10 – Foundations of Math: Teaching Students With Disabilities
Day 5
St. Johns

(Mi)2 Partners

Michigan Math and Science Center Network (MMSCN)

The Michigan Mathematics and Science Centers Network (MMSCN) collaborates with partners across the state to improve math and science teaching.

Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics (DACTM)

The Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics (DACTM) proactively supports Michigan math educators’ continued professional growth.

Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM)

The Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM) is the professional organization for Michigan mathematics educators at any grade level, pre-K through college.

Michigan Council for Exceptional Children (MCEC)

The Michigan Council for Exceptional Children (MCEC) is part of a national community of educators who are the voice and vision of special and gifted education.

Subscription Details

You are subscribed to MI^2 Update.
Unsubscribe from the MI^2 Update

http://mi2.cenmi.org

Alt+Shift, encompassing Michigan’s Integrated Mathematics Initiative, is an Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Grant Funded Initiative through the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Special Education.

To unsubscribe from the MI2_NEWS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(MI2_NEWS,SIGNOFF);