Print

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo
(Mi)2 Update: May 2015
Subscribe Here
In this Newsletter:

Learning Environments for ALL Summer Institute: Who Should Attend? | New Newsletter Features | Foundations of Math | Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students with Learning Difficulties | Delta Math | Infuse Problem Solving into Your Routine | Math Around Michigan | (Mi)2 Resources | Upcoming (Mi)2 Dates | (Mi)2 Partners | Subscription Details
Learning Environments for ALL Summer Institute: Who Should Attend?

We’re seeking problem solvers, trouble shooters, innovators, and early adopters for a week of rethinking our practice as educators; being inspired by like-minded, yet diverse professionals; and mixing with current and future collegial partners who are making education work for all students.

If this is you, treat yourself to a week on Grand Traverse Bay for a unique summer professional learning experience. Better yet, invite your favorite colleagues to join you!

When: June 15-18

Where: Hagerty Conference Center, 715 East Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49686

Registration, session descriptions, and additional information can be found at our website and on our Sched app.

New Newsletter Features

Beginning this month, the (Mi)2 Update will include information from each of our major projects: Foundations of Math, Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students with Learning Difficulties, and Delta Math. Stay updated on trainings, feedback, and program updates throughout the year.

Also beginning this month, connect directly to other statewide initiatives that provide professional learning around math for ALL students by clicking on their logos and visiting their websites. Upcoming events from these organizations will also continue to be featured in “Math Around Michigan.”

Foundations of Math

Foundations of Math is shifting the way Michigan educators understand and teach mathematics. The participant listserv is gaining traction as a place to share resources and talk about shifts in practice. Here are some of the things participants are saying after just two days of training in Lansing and Marquette:

“I liked the new ways of looking at numbers and seeing what my students may be thinking.”

“Made me look closer at my presentation of lessons and what words I use.”

“Ideas on number sense [were most useful]. I didn’t see that at the high school level.”

“I teach kindergarten and there were plenty of early elementary examples.”

“Talking about how to teach through concept rather than procedure.”

“Programs come and go, but Foundations of Math changes how you look, think, teach, and talk about math. It is clear, makes sense, and causes you to question past practices and change them.”

For more information, and to register for Novi or Traverse City, visit our website.

Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students with Learning Difficulties

The 2014-2015 course implementations for Enhancing Mathematics Instruction for Students with Learning Difficulties came to a close in April. The course was offered in 15 locations to about 260 participants. Thank you for all the hard work from our facilitators who made this possible! Feedback on the course continues to be positive:
  • 97 percent of facilitators report the course went well or very well.

  • 100 percent of facilitators report that they would recommend the course to other districts.

  • 92 percent of participants report their lesson planning changed as a result of the course.

  • 96 percent of participants report that those changes in lesson planning improved learning for students.

  • 98 percent of participants would recommend the course to a colleague.

Delta Math

The Delta Math Response to Intervention (RtI) Program, developed through the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District, provides resources for first grade through the Algebra 1 course level that implement the evidence-based recommendations provided in an Institute of Educational Sciences practice guide titled Assisting Students Struggling with Mathematics: Response to Intervention for Elementary and Middle Schools.

(Mi)2 supports the implementation of math Response to Intervention (RtI)/Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) using Delta Math resources in schools outside of the Ottawa Area ISD by providing schools the opportunity to attend regional information sessions, training sessions, and follow-up support.

The next training session is scheduled for June 3 at the Ottawa Area ISD.

If you are interested in learning more about the Delta Math online readiness screeners, Tier 2 intervention lessons, or progress monitoring resources, please contact Mike Klavon at [log in to unmask].

Infuse Problem Solving into Your Routine

High quality problem solving experiences can support the Standards of Mathematical Practice and strands of mathematical proficiency as outlined by the National Resource Council in Adding It Up.

“Three-Act Math” from Dan Meyer engages students in problem solving through carefully constructed mathematical stories that tap into the natural curiosity of students. Meyer describes the structure in his blog and offers a spreadsheet with his videos, alignment to standards, and suggested questions.

The What If? archive is a collection of questions people have wondered about that can be answered using math. What if everyone on earth got as close to each other as possible and jumped at the same time? What if a rainstorm dropped all of its water in a single giant drop?

Open Curriculum is a free curated collection of problem-based activities, searchable by grade and topic area. The activities at this site range from the traditional to the more open-ended.

Math Around Michigan

EMATHS Online Course Registration
You are invited to enroll in EMATHS Online Professional Development courses for secondary mathematics teachers. The three course options (Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry) run from June 3 through August 26. For more information, download the flyer. Registration ends May 20.

Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics (DACTM) Annual Meeting
DACTM’s Annual Meeting will be held at the Butcher Educational Center in Warren on May 20 at 7 p.m. The evening features a guest speaker, and the DACTM Teacher of the Year and finalists will be recognized. For more information, visit the DACTM website.

Registration Open: Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM) Annual Conference
Register now for the 2015 Annual MCTM Conference July 28-30 in beautiful Traverse City. The conference features a variety of breakout sessions, pre-conference offerings, and keynote speaker Steven Leinwand. For registration and program information, visit the MCTM website.

(Mi)2 Resources

  1. Website: mi2.cenmi.org

  2. (Mi)2 Update, a monthly e-newsletter: Subscribe

  3. Technical Assistance: Contact (Mi)2

  4. Follow us on Twitter @MI2_Math and Facebook

Upcoming (Mi)2 Dates

May 11, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Day 3
Lansing

May 13, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Day 3
Marquette

May 26-27, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 4 and 5
Lansing

May 28-29, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 4 and 5
Marquette

June 10, 2015 – (Mi)2 Presentation
MAASE meeting
Lansing

June 15-18, 2015 – Learning Environments for ALL Summer Institute
Traverse City

August 10-11, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 1 and 2
Traverse City

August 13-14, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 1 and 2
Novi

September 21, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Day 3
Traverse City

September 23, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Day 3
Novi

September 28, 2015 – MCTM/MCEC Making Mathematics Meaningful through Collaboration Conference
Macomb ISD
Clinton Township

October 19-20, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 4 and 5
Traverse City

October 22-23, 2015 – Foundations of Math
Days 4 and 5
Novi

(Mi)2 Partners

Michigan Math and Science Center Network (MMSCN)

The Michigan Mathematics and Science Centers Network (MMSCN) collaborates with partners across the state to improve math and science teaching.

Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics (DACTM)

The Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics (DACTM) proactively supports Michigan math educators’ continued professional growth.

Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM)

The Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM) is the professional organization for Michigan mathematics educators at any grade level, pre-K through college.

Michigan Council for Exceptional Children (MCEC)

The Michigan Council for Exceptional Children (MCEC) is part of a national community of educators who are the voice and vision of special and gifted education.

Subscription Details

You are subscribed to (Mi)2 Update. To unsubscribe, visit:
http://LISTSERV.CENMI.ORG/scripts/wa-CENMI.exe?SUBED1=MI2_NEWS&A=1

http://mi2.cenmi.org

Accessible Learning Environments, encompassing Michigan’s Integrated Mathematics Initiative, is a Mandated Activities Project (MAP), funded under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) through the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Special Education.

To unsubscribe from the MI2_NEWS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(MI2_NEWS,SIGNOFF);